Never Lost - Just Exploring

Never Lost - Just Exploring
Click for slideshow

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Everyday Awareness

I have resolved myself to make at least one new post each week. In this manner I will be pushing myself to continue observing, and making note of, the world around me each week. I think that is a keystone for a good writer..to be aware of ones surroundings and notice the little things that make each moment unique and different. A good writer finds the salient points in any moment and condenses them down to their very essence in order to recreate them in the printed form for a reader to digest.

Knowing that I wanted to make a blog post today I was keenly aware of my environment this morning as I left the house.  The weather once again was making the world a cleaner place to live, the fog and warm air had combined to create huge beads of condensation on everything. The car was covered in these drops of crystal clear water and I watched as they blew off the surfaces as I gained speed.

Today I was consciously making note of things as I looked for a good thing to blog about . Thursday is to be my writing dayt whenever possible, and even though some of these posts will be abbreviated, I am going to try to write a little something consistently.  Then luck intervened and I found my muse for this post.

As I drove to work this morning I noticed the air was clear, and warm, and it felt very springlike. This of course in encouraging for any motorcycle enthusiast and I too felt the stirring of my wanderlust longing to be in the saddle again after this gentle winter season. I have driven this way countless times over the 20+ years of living in our house but something caught my eye today. There is a section of road the parallels the main highway I was on, it functions as a frontage road that leads to several houses. I think they added this road to keep traffic off the main road which flows by at higer speeds. It is not uncommon for me to see kids waiting for their schoolbus on the corner most mornings, but today soemthing was different.

As I drove pat I noticed a man crouching in the center of the street. He had his dog with him, and on a leash, and they were both being quite still. As I went past I saw why they had stopped there. The man had a large camera mounted on a tripod aiming toward the northeast. He was working on getting a picture of the area. As I said I have driven past this place many many times and never before noticed what a picturesque place it was. But this morning, because the man with the camera was there, I noticed the view he was capturing. It wasn't breathaking nor panoramic. Just an old farm, with a rundown barn, all framed by the rapidly melting snow steaming slightly as the air warmed it.

So that was my lesson for the day...Taught by an anonymous photographer...to look at everything which is seen daily, and to find the uniqueness of it. To see the steam rising, and to realize the light was perfect at that exact moment.  A lesson of awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment